blog

Post#1 – Share a story about your best learning experience. why did you enjoy it?

In my first year of university, I enrolled in a sociology course that changed my view on learning. I was excited reading the syllabus because the topics this class covered were all interesting and I had a little bit of background knowledge on each topic. It brought me comfort knowing that I’d be able to pick up the material quickly. Then I started reading the textbook and felt pretty confident I absorbed the information. I did the textbook quiz because I finished the chapter and was unhappy with the result. I then realized I didn’t know how to properly apply the information I was currently learning, even if the topic of it seemed so easy. This all happened before the first lecture,  I then met the professor. This specific professor taught in a very unique way that I’ll never forget. He took the concepts that I couldn’t even begin to grasp properly in the textbook and put them in a real-life scenario, in the form of a story. While teaching he always had a simplistic PowerPoint with only key ideas that were integrated into the story, because of this I was always aware of what course material was being displayed as examples in the story. This way of learning was very engaging and easy to follow. Derek Muller mentioned in his video that students are often overconfident in what they think they know and when “learning” more on a topic they are comfortable with, they seem to lack the ability to differentiate between facts that support or negate their ideas. I fell victim to this while reading the textbook which happened subconsciously, it wasn’t until It was explained to me using real-life examples that I was able to change my mindset. I thoroughly enjoyed this class because I felt as though I truly took in the information being taught on a deeper level than I ever had previous to this course.

1. norman00

Hello Aneka,

I appreciate you sharing your blog post 1. It is interesting to hear about how your first year at university has been. You have an excellent professor in your sociology course. The professor teaches the student to learn new knowledge, really helping us learn how to organize relevant details or opinions when we learn for the first time. Your opinions are also truly true. A high-quality PowerPoint helps us grasp what the professor is trying to convey, and it also saves us a lot of time as we prepare for future assignments.

2. yixuanzhang

Hello Aneka,

I agree with you very much. I have also participated in classes with similar teaching methods. This way is really helpful for me to understand the content. I feel that I have not only learned this knowledge, but also can make good use of it. This also helps me learn to use this method to understand knowledge points in future courses, it is very useful.